On Sunday December 9th Heel Holland Bakt aired on Dutch television. This television show is the Dutch equivalent of the Great British Bake Off. For this episode the bakers were challenged to cook outdoors and to prepare a flammkuchen on Weltevree Outdoorovens. Fire up your own Outdooroven and prepare this flammkuchen with sauerkraut and sausage.
For 1 Flammkuchen
- 175 gr pizza mix
or prepare traditional Flammkuchen dough
- 40 ml creme fraîche
- 1 apple
- 1 smoked sausage
- 30 gr grated cheese
- 1 red onion
- 150 gr sauerkraut
- salt and pepper
- small amount of flour
- honey (add to taste)
- garden cress (add to taste)
- Step 1. Light a fire in the Outdooroven and make sure the fire burns for at least 15 minutes before you start cooking. Like this the oven can reach the proper temperature (around 180 degrees Celsius) and the heat is distributed evenly throughout the oven. If you want to check the temperature inside the oven, you could use the Magnetic Thermometer (sold separately).
- Step 2. Prepare the pizza mix following the instructions on the package or prepare your own flammkuchen dough. Are you using a pizza mix? Don’t forget to let the dough rise at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes. Cover it with foil or a wet tea towel.
- Step 3. Prepare the toppings. Drain the sauerkraut in a strainer or sieve. Peel the onion and cut into thin rings. Cut the sausage in small pieces. Remove the core of the apple and cut it in small pieces. There’s no need to peel the apple first.
- Step 4. Sprinkle some flour on the working surface and roll out the dough as thin as possible. Create either a round or a rectangular shape. Just make sure it will fit the blade of your pizzashovel.
- Step 5. Cover the dough with a thin layer of creme fraîche. Spread the sauerkraut, apple , sausage and onion on the flammkuchen. Add grated cheese to taste. Make sure not to put too much of the toppings on the flammkuchen for a crunchier result.
- Step 6. Check if the oven is heated properly. Sprinkle the pizzashovel with some flour and place the flammkuchen on the pizza shovel. Place the flammkuchen in the middle of the oven.
- Step 7: Keep a close eye on the flammkuchen once it’s in the oven. The flammkuchen is supposed to be very thin and will be ready within minutes (5-15 minutes).
- Step 8: Take the flammkuchen out of the oven once the crust colors a golden brown and is crunchy. Sprinkle some honey on top and add garden cress to taste. The flammkuchen is ready to serve!