Ingrediënts and tools
For 12 servings
- 250 grams flour (take a little extra for rolling out the dough)
- 10 grams baking powder
- 10 grams speculaas spices:
Mix cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, white pepper, ginger and cardamom in a ratio of 8:2:2:1:1:1
- 150 grams almond paste
- pinch of salt
- 130 grams brown sugar
- 150 grams butter
- 20 ml whole milk
- split almonds to taste (garnishing)
- 1 egg
- Springform pan of baking dish of 18 x 18 cm or Ø 24 cm
- Large mixing bowl and two small bowls
- Rolling pin
- Optional: mixer with dough hooks
- Step 1. Light a fire in the Outdooroven and make sure the fire burns for at least 15 minutes before you start cooking. Like this the oven can reach the proper temperature (around 180 degrees Celsius) and the heat is distributed evenly throughout the oven. If you want to check the temperature inside the oven, you could use the Magnetic Thermometer (sold separately).
- Step 2. Mix the flour, baking powder, speculaas spices, salt and brown sugar in a large bowl.
- Step 3. Add the butter and half of the milk and knead to a smooth but firm dough either by hand or with a mixer with dough hooks. Leave the dough in the bowl, cover it and place in the refrigerator.
- Step 4. Gently beat the egg in a small bowl. Mix the almond paste in the other small bowl with half of the egg and two tablespoons of water. Set aside.
- Step 5. Take the dough out of the fridge and separate in three parts. Combine two parts to create the bottom layer of biscuit. Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface with the rolling pin until it is big enough to cover the bottom of the baking dish.
- Step 6. Lightly grease the pan or dish or use baking paper.
- Step 7. Line the baking dish or pan with dough and trim the edges to about 2 cm high.
- Step 8. Put the almond mixture in the baking dish or pan and divide evenly with a wet spoon.
- Step 9. Roll out the leftover part of the dough on a lightly floured surface and create a circle or square the size of your baking dish. Use this to cover the almond mixture.
- Step 10: Take the leftover egg and mix with a splash of milk. Use a brush to divide the mixture on the top of the Speculaas.
- Step 11: Garnish with split almonds and brush with egg-milk-mixture once again.
- Step 12: Place in the oven for about 30 minutes. Make sure to check regularly and remember to place a new log on the fire to maintain a steady temperature.
- Step 13: Your Speculaas is ready once the top is hardened and a slightly darker shade of brown. Take it out of the Outdooroven and allow it to cool off for at least 15 minutes, cut and serve in either rectangulars or narrow triangles.